A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes

Light Theme Dark Theme


 

“It’s been so long since I hugged you like this.” Mirai was still teary, clinging to Riko’s shoulders, her head nestled into her chest. She’d grown, they both had, but the way that Riko gently smoothed her hair, brushing it neatly away from her face, felt so nostalgic. Even the way that they had talked about anything and everything on their journey back to Mirai’s apartment felt effortless, bantering as though they had never been separated a day in their lives. Mirai still couldn’t believe it was real, that her prayers had truly been answered and her favorite person had finally come home to her.

They were now nestled on top of Mirai’s queen sized bed, the large downy comforter plush against them while they sat cross legged, chatting and catching up into the late hours of the night. They were used to sharing the same bed—having so many sleepovers through their adventures—that these types of late night chats came naturally. When Mirai thought really hard about it, she’d get a little nervous, feeling butterflies fluttering in her tummy. She, of course, could notice the differences between them and how things somehow felt different from when they were kids, but when she relaxed and enjoyed the moment, everything came to her with an ease. Hours passed by them like seconds in the warmth of each other's company. 

Riko was quiet, always the more calculated and collected of the pair. She patiently listened to Mirai and her feelings, enjoying Mirai’s expressions and her animated nature more than the blonde would ever know. Riko missed this, had missed it dearly in all the lonely days and nights they were separated in their distant worlds. She tried with all her strength to project as many years worth of comfort to Mirai as she could in just this single embrace.

“I’m really sorry for crying!” Mirai wiped her tears with the back of her hand, looking up at Riko sheepishly through her bangs. “I’m really… happy! Really! I just… missed you so much.”

Riko nodded, smiling gently. She ran her hand down Mirai’s back, across her shoulders, a touch filled with affection. “You don’t have to apologize, Mirai.” 

Mirai leaned back into Riko’s touch, her body naturally leaning towards it, seeking that which it had longed for.

“I… missed you too.” Riko’s voice was quiet, as though speaking such profound feelings so earnestly was embarrassing to her, particularly to someone she held in such high esteem. “There were so many times that I didn’t know what to do without you.”

Mirai sighed, relating to that abandoned feeling. It had shaped her life for the past few years. Riko’s sentiment being mutual comforted Mirai somehow; it released the pain of loneliness that she had come to know all too well. In Riko’s absence, Mirai found herself playing back everything she’d wished she had said, all the questions she’d never gotten to ask, all of the times that she’d held her true feelings back. The regret locked away in her heart was one of the things that had stung Mirai the most.

“I really felt that too.” Mirai reached for Riko, tilting her head so she could look up at her, admiring the way her features had changed and all the ways that they hadn’t. “We’re a team. You’re like the other half of me.” Mirai laughed a little to herself, giddy from nerves. She let her hands fall across Riko’s shoulders, telegraphing what she was about to do to give Riko every opportunity to move, to reject her feelings without having to outright say no. Mirai stared into Riko’s magenta eyes, nearly breathless from the way that they softened as they looked back into Mirai’s. Mirai’s lips felt dry, nervous, she hadn’t done this before—but here Riko was, patient but expectantly waiting for her to make the move, daring her to. 

Mirai took a sharp breath, gathering her strength. She brought her hands to cup the sides of Riko’s face, her fingertips brushing through Riko's silky purple hair. Mirai gently pressed her lips into Riko’s, tentatively at first, nervous as though Riko might disappear again at any moment. But she didn’t. She kissed her back, with more confidence and passion than Mirai’s first timid attempt. Riko’s kiss was fearless, tactical, analytic in nature, a form so perfect it sent Mirai reeling and seeing stars.

Mirai’s lips parted from hers to catch a dizzying breath, her fingertips shaking with anticipation. Riko fell into her, closing the distance between them, using her body as her response to Mirai, a desire to be one, to be together. 

Mirai didn’t resist her, she happily let Riko assume control. Mirai’s back fell backwards, crashing into the variety of stuffed toys piled atop her fluffy bed with Riko on top of her, straddling her. Their kisses grew deeper, more heated, years worth of need behind each one. Mirai was ready for Riko and had waited for her with all that she was. She accepted all of Riko’s kisses even as they grew intense and feverish. 

Riko paused, underestimating how out of breath she would be but too caught up in the moment to care. She gave Mirai a gentle expression, her pupils blown wide with affection and attraction. The couple spent a few moments panting and silently staring into each other, savoring this moment and how it felt.

Both of them wanted to say it. They wanted to admit how they’d felt, all of this time. Riko had felt it from the first time they’d met—and Mirai would say the same. Nonetheless they hesitated, lost for words in this peaceful moment where they’d felt so unified.

“Mirai…” Riko looked helpless, timid. She wanted to get the words out so badly. Mirai thought she looked so cute.

Mirai ran her palms across Riko’s arms comforting circles, coaxing her best she could. Everything in Mirai’s touch reassured Riko, a silent ‘it’s okay’. 

Riko stole another kiss, a gentle one this time. She wished her body could tell Mirai all of her deepest, most intimate secrets so she wouldn’t have to admit them all out loud. Their lips parted just enough so that they were still together, so close that their upper lips ghosted against the others.

“I love you.”




If you are inclined, you can leave a comment or kudos here on AO3! ^^